Here's my newest painting. But it didn't always look like this.
It started out like this. I worked on it over the summer but couldn't get it to look right so eventually I admitted defeat and gave up.
Since I wouldn't be doing anything else with the canvas I decided to use it for something a bit experimental; adding texture.
I painted over the first painting with emulsion paint mixed with a bit of plaster. I used this mix to create the shapes of the new image I had in mind.
For the sandy part of the image I added actual sandy to the paint/plaster mix...
...which I applied with a palette knife.
This is the textured canvas before I started painting on it. Once it had dried I couldn't wait to get started on it.
I really love how this painting turned out and I'm inspired to add more texture to my future paintings.