Thursday, 8 December 2016

Santa Belt Sweet Pot

This quick Christmas gift craft starts with a cardboard ice cream tub.

My Mum crocheted around the pot using red wool. Nice and festive.

To make Santa's belt I cut a long strip of black felt that went all the way around the pot. For the belt buckle I cut a square of orangey/brown felt with two slits in that the black felt could pass through.

The belt could be sewn to the pot but to make things easy I just glued it on using UHU glue.

Then to make the pot into a little gift I added a handle of sweets wrapped in cellophane.

Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Home Made Advent Calendar

I've always wanted to make an advent calendar and pick out 24 little gifts to fill it. As this is the first Christmas living with my boyfriend he got to be the lucky recipient. Though it turns out finding 24 little gifts for a boy, that isn't just chocolate, is pretty tricky.

I went through several different options for making the calendar. I thought about hanging little packages on a string, using brown envelopes, stacking matchboxes. In the end I went with cereal variety boxes, which I found for £1 for a pack of 8.

I emptied the boxes (rice krispie cakes anyone?) and cut off the flaps from one end. I stuck the boxes together using a glue gun. Once all 24 boxes were in place I stuck card to the sides to hide the packaging.

I also thought through a few different versions for the windows on the calendar, but settled on simple card flaps that I glued to the bottom of each box. I used two different colours; maroon with a snowflake pattern and a shimmery pale gold. Completely coincidentally these colours matched the decorations my boyfriend has for his Christmas tree. 

I printed out the numbers on to stickers and used my circle paper punch to cut them out.

Then all I needed to do was fill the boxes, stick on the numbers and close the windows which had to be done by dabbing on a few spots of PVA glue on the edge of the boxes and holding down the card until it dried. Which was done on November 30th. I finished it just in time!

I won't show you what I put inside the boxes in case my boyfriend reads this, but I can tell you that so far he's received; tea bags, chocolate coins, a small pencil with a fun rubber, a Barney bear cake, a pencil sharpener that looks like a nose and a pair of Christmas pants which he wore that day.

If the calendar stays in one piece we're planning to use it again next year with him filling half the boxes for me and me filling the other half for him. 

Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Crochet Pikachu Pot

With craft fair season in full swing I've been adding a few more things to my stock. These character pots have been going down quite well so I've made a few more.

In order to stay on trend and 'down with the kids' I made a Pikachu one, since the Pikachu toy we made sold straight away.

In fact I made two! We've been selling these pots with socks in and with sweets in. You can guess which has been more popular with children.

I also had a blank white crochet pot that my Mum made so I thought it would be perfect as a snowman. Tis the season after all. So this guy is roughly based on Olaf; everyone's favourite snowman. Or would that be Frosty the Snowman? Or the snowman from The Snowman?

Thursday, 24 November 2016

Gingerbread House Ornament

I tried making a mini gingerbread house ornament a few years ago but I didn't like the way it looked. Since then I've come up with a better way to do it, which I'm going to share.

 I started the same way, cutting all the sides of the house out of my card of choice; Amazon packaging. Then I glued all the bits together.

 Next I needed to paint the house a gingerbready colour using acrylic paint.

 Here comes the game changer. Using the same polyfiller and water mix in a bottle with small nozzle that I used here I was able to be more precise with the piping of the 'icing'.

Not too bad if I say so myself! I could see myself getting a little production line going and making a whole bunch of these.

Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Candy Cane Holders

Since I have a lot of candy canes around from the candy cane horses I thought I'd try and make something else with them. I remembered seeing something on Pinterest where a character is holding the candy cane so I went with that.

These were pretty easy to make. I sewed the face on a piece of felt first, then made the additional parts, like Rudolph's ears and antlers, and then I sewed the two pieces of felt together adding in two loops of felt to be the hands holding the candy cane.

How cute would these little guys be hanging on a Christmas tree?

Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Candy Cane Horses

My Mum saw this idea for candy cane horses on Pinterest.

Their creation is pretty much all down to her. She does the important crocheting and I just stick on the googly eyes and tie on some red ribbon for the reigns.

These sold pretty well at a Christmas craft fair a couple of weeks ago, with one woman saying they were the perfect present for a horse vet she knows.

Wednesday, 2 November 2016

Lolly Stick Sledge

On a recent trip to Harrod's Christmas World I saw some cute little wooden sledge decorations which inspired me to try making my own version.

On several blogs I'd seen that you can bend lollypop sticks by boiling them so I did just that to try and get the curved runners of the sledge.

Once the sticks had boiled for about half and hour and were cool enough to handle, I left them to dry against the fridge weighed down by the toaster and sugar pot to keep the curve. Kitchen resourcefulness!

I cut the other lolly sticks to size with a craft knife and stuck them altogether with E6000 glue, hoping everything would stay at right angles and not fall apart.

Once the glue dried I decided to paint the little sledge so it didn't just look like a bunch of lolly sticks stuck together. 

I thought the sledge might make a great gift with some chocolates tied to the back.