home aboutme myart books shop

Thursday 12 September 2024

5 Things to do with Wool Scraps

If you're a knitter, crocheter, or make anything with wool, or yarn, then you'll probably find yourself with lots of little bits of wool that you've trimmed off your projects. I've been holding on to these scraps thinking there must be something useful I can do with them, and the following 5 projects are what I came up with.

Check out the video at the end for all the details.

First up is this little bowl. The secret to making a sturdy bowl out of wool is cornflour, or corn starch. Mix it with white glue and water and then dip your scraps into the mixture and wrap them around a balloon. It'll need at least 24 hours to dry, but then you'll be surprised with how solid it becomes.

Next up is a little throwback project. I made a mixed wool pom-pom and then turned it in to this little desk buddy by adding some felt feet and matching googly eyes.

I think this is my favourite use for wool scraps and that is to use them as hair for little dolls. I added my wool to a crocheted head, using a crochet hook, and I think it adds so much character. I broke up the strands of wool to make wavy hair and I love how it looks.

This simple project can use up really short pieces of wool. It's a simple flower where I sewed the pieces of wool to a felt circle and then added a button on top. This could be made into a hair clip or a brooch.

And finally I have this fun lion wall hanging. The pieces of wool are glued between two circles of card, and then I added the lion features made out of paper.


Let me know if you have any other ways of using up scraps of wool. I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...