home aboutme myart books shop

Friday 30 August 2024

Felt Pizza Kit

My son is very much in his Bluey era and particularly enjoys the Pizza Girls episode, so I thought he would enjoy his own pizza kit to play with. I'd seen some nice homemade ones online made with cardboard, but I thought that all the pieces would just slide around so I went for felt.




























I found some thick wadding and cut out a circle from it. I used a paper plate to draw around. Then I cut two circles out of beige felt. Ideally I would have wanted to use a slightly darker coloured felt, but I had a lot of this beige so the pizza base just looks a little under cooked.
I also cut a long strip of the felt which I pinned to the edge of the circle and sewed on, going through all the layers. 




























The pizza base turned out a lot better than I was expecting. The thick wadding works really well as it means the base is not too floppy.


Next I headed to my felt stash to work on the pizza toppings. I went with ham, olives, cheese, green peppers, chicken, onions, pepperoni and mushrooms. If you've seen the episode of Bluey you'll know that mushrooms are a must!
I also cut out a wobbly red circle of felt for the tomato sauce. I've seen some people do this for the cheese as well but I went with strips. My son has to have dairy free cheese so his cheese looks more like this as it's terrible at melting!



I wanted to keep all the toppings organised in a container and remembered I had this wooden box with compartments and a lid. I roughly drew all the toppings on my computer and added the names, then printed them out and stuck them in the box with double sided sticky tape.


Everything fits almost perfectly, and I have one space left should I think of anything else. I'd thought about sweetcorn, which my son really likes, but I did not like the idea of tiny yellow squares of felt existing in my house. So that spot is staying empty for now.

Then I went on Canva and designed a menu, which I laminated, and an ingredients label for the box.


This whole project actually started because my Dad was getting rid of a box that was the same size as a pizza box. So I added the logo to that by printing it on sticker paper. All the elements - the pizza, toppings box and menu - fit in this box so it's easy to tidy away.

So far the pizza kit is a hit. Although my son will take our order but then put whatever toppings he wants on anyway. And there's always mushrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...