home aboutme myart books shop

Thursday 6 December 2012

String balloons

Have you all seen these string balloon things that people turn into lanterns and baskets and the like?
Well my boss at work recently saw them on Pinterest and thought they could be part of a children's workshop, so I got to experiment with making them.

Unfortunately, the ideal room for me to make these in was taken, so I found an area in my little office, between the shelves and the desk, covered it in plastic bags and got to work.
The key to this project is corn flour.
Mix corn flour with water and add PVA glue. Cover the string with it and wrap the string around the balloon.
I found it easier to cut the string into separate bits, but I admire people who could manage the string in one long piece.
Those people probably weren't trying to do this in a small office.



The best part is popping the balloon.
Watch this video, and make sure you have the sound on, to see what I mean.

These string balloons will eventually become planets, but so far I haven't done anything with them other than this. 

1 comment:

  1. I want to do this so bad for my friend's bridal shower in purple string...Such a cool idea! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...