home aboutme myart books shop

Wednesday 13 January 2021

Decorating our Bedroom

I started writing this post in September but then it took me ages to get around to taking the photos, and then even longer to put it all together. I blame Christmas!

So anyway, we moved house at the end of June and the first room we wanted to decorate was our bedroom. In my relationship, my husband is the one with the design visions and I'm the practical one who makes it happen. He has the Pinterest boards for each room, and I spend ages online trying to find the best deals.

When we moved in, this room had a blue feature wall and the built in wardrobe had been painted to match. We liked the cream colour of the other walls, so bought a matching colour just ot freshen them up, so we just wanted to change the blue one. We chose this dusky pink paint which is Raspberry Meld from Wilkos. This shade of pink was also one of our wedding colours which means our new curtains look like they're made out of the bridemaids dresses!

Andrew was set on having hanging pendant lights either side of the bed instead of bedside tables so I left it to him to contact an electrician and make that happen.

For the artwork above the bed we ordered some digital prints from Etsy, got them printed with Snapfish, and put them in Ikea frames. It was actually a set of three images so we printed the third one smaller and used it elsewhere in the room.



I inherited our bedside tables/drawers from my Grandad and refinished them to match our bed, which we already had from our old house. I sanded them down (using my 30th birthday present from my parents!) and treated them with furniture wax.



Now on to the wardrobe!
It wasn't in our budget to rip this thing out and get a new one made so we worked with what we had. The righthand side had a lot of little shelf cubbies which weren't very practical for us so Andrew took a hammer to them to open up that side. We installed a short hanging rail at the top for my dresses, and used the existing shelves at the bottom with some plastic baskets we already had. We painted the whole thing in white gloss paint, which is never my favourite thing to work with but it looks so much better.



For the side of the wardrobe I had the idea to use wallpaper to add a bit of colour and fun. We found this pink with gold palm trees print from World of Wallpaper and I successfully hung my first ever piece of wallpaper.
We bought some corner shelves from here, as we're not quite up for making them from scratch yet. I've only just bought a drill, give me time!

Our blind is from Blinds Direct and our curtains are from Ikea, hanging on an Argos curtain pole which I managed to put up all by myself.

One of my favourite things that we did for this room was a buy a projector. When I put up the blind I immediately thought that it would make a great projector screen. After some contemplation over whether it was an unnecessary luxury, we decided to buy a projector with the last of John Lewis vouchers we got given for our wedding. And I'm so glad we did! If we wanted to watch something before bed we used to use a laptop which is not ideal. We bought an Amazon Fire stick which plugs straight into the projector, which we have at the foot of our bed. All the wires run under the bed and the whole thing is controlled by the Amazon remote. Also, our blind is a black out blind, so the images don't show through the other side. I'm not sure what the neighbours would think of that.

We might add a few more things to this room, as there's still some blank spaces, but for now we're really happy with how it turned out and it was the first step toward making this house feel like ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...