home aboutme myart books shop

Thursday 9 October 2014

Cornflour Ornaments

Any guesses on what these stars are made out of?

Ok, I'll tell you. Cornflour, bicarbonate of soda and water. So simple!
I found this tutorial on Full of Great Ideas and really wanted to try it out. Since she made Christmas ornaments I decided to do that too.

The quantities I used were 1/2 cup bicarbonate of soda, 1/4 corn flour and approximately 5/16 cup of water which is just over 1/4. I only used a quarter of the amount from the original tutorial, hence the weird fractions.

After mixing the dry ingredients in a saucepan you add the water, eventually getting a liquidy mixture.

Then you put the saucepan over a medium heat and continuously stir. It starts to thicken pretty quickly and as soon as that started to happen I took the saucepan off the heat and kept stirring. It's pretty magic how it goes from a running liquid to a doughy sort of consistency. 

Then you need to let it cool. Check the original tutorial for the full instructions.

What I love about this project is that it only uses food stuff so you can use regular kitchen equipment, like a rolling pin and cookie cutters.

After cutting out all my shapes I left them to dry out.

I decided to paint some of my ornaments with nail varnish. The glittery kind!

Since we have a dalek cookie cutter in the house I had to make a couple of dalek ornaments for my sister. I painted these with spray paint and then added the black details with a brush. I finished them off by gluing sequins and gems on to the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...