home aboutme myart books shop

Monday 28 February 2011

School Jumper to Sequin shoulders



Sequined shoulders seem to be the current thing so here's the run down of how I produced the look myself.


The jumper I used was my old P.E. sweatshirt from school. It has an ugly neck and the school logo on it. They had to go. 


I cut off the elasticated neck for a more flattering look and unpicked the logo, which made a few holes but they're barely noticeable.


Then I made a pattern (from my essay notes...) for the area I wanted to fill with sequins. I made mine straight along the seams at the top of the arm and then curved around the shoulder.


First I sewed on little black sequins around the edge of the paper pattern and then filled in the space with large silver sequins. This pack came from Poundland and is great as you get many different shapes and sizes, not just a whole bunch of similar circles. 


I then sewed on smaller sequins to fill in the gaps. This takes a while. I suggest putting on some good tv and getting comfy. I went through several episodes of CSI, House and Firefly.


For an added extra I sewed on some chain on the front side of the sequins.


This jumper is now definitely too cool for school. Agreed?

9 comments:

  1. so pretty! you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great DIY! I would have believed you if you said the sweater was from a shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I keep seeing this look everywhere :) Thanks for sharing how you did it!

    http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. its just awesome embellishment girl..keep it up...waooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a real beauty! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out so cute!! I linked to your project on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-add-sequined-shoulders-to-a-sweatshirt/2011/05/16/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are too cute! I saw your tutorial feature at Sewing Crafts and I thought I'd stop by to take a look, you are so creative, I love this idea, the sweater looks so pretty! :)

    By the way, I am thinking about making a post about my favorite tutorials soon, I will link up to yours on my blog if you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome!!! Love the look of the sequin shoulders :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...