home aboutme myart books shop

Thursday 7 September 2017

Geometric Wall Art


Hi guys, I'm back! If you follow me on Instagram you'll know that I moved house a couple of weeks ago, which is the reason for my blogging absence. My boyfriend and I bought our first house together and have been busy unpacking and decorating.


We've started with our bedroom where I've been able to put my first creative touch. The room has a built in wardrobe/closet space and I thought it would be fun to do a painted feature wall inside. Since this is my first experience of painting on such a big scale (ok, not true) I thought this would be relatively low risk as if it turned out really bad it wouldn't matter as the wall is going to be covered with clothes most of the time anyway.


I started by designing the wall in Photoshop. I'd searched Pinterest for geometric wall inspiration and used this image as a starting point.

With my design up on my laptop I started drawing it on to the wall. We'd already painted it grey when we did the rest of the room. Drawing the design involved a fair bit of measuring which I didn't mind, especially when I found a website which did equilateral triangle calculations for me.

Then it was time to paint. I'd say it took me about two long days altogether, and lots of podcasts. I decided to do the whole thing freehand and not use tape as I haven't had much success with it in the past. Mostly because I'm not willing to pay out for the good stuff #cheapo. So instead I used a small brush and a steady hand for the outlines of the shapes.

These are the different paints I used. The Dulux 'Chic Shadow' is the colour of the rest of the bedroom and the base colour of my design. The small tester pot in 'Slate' was left behind by the house's previous owner and turned out to be the perfect dark grey, although there wasn't quite enough of it so I had to alter my design slightly. I mixed the silk black paint (another one we inherited from the previous owner) with the white emulsion to make another shade of grey. Then for a pop of colour I used a tube of gold acrylic paint.


I'm so happy with how this wall turned out. I think I got the size of the pattern and the colours just right.


It's almost a shame to cover it up with our clothes, but we need the storage space! And we'll get glimpses of it when we're getting our clothes out. Maybe now I'll try something on a more prominent wall.

Pin it!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks AH-mazing. I would never have the patience to do that. I vote you move the closet somewhere else, that master piece needs to shine. It's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really really pretty! Love the idea and the choice you made with the color, it’s fabulous!

    Gold Wall Art

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...